BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Palahniuk

I am the worst English major ever. I just don't like to read. It's not something I do in my spare time, and when I am forced to read for school I tend to skim over the words. However there is one author whose books I do enjoy, Chuck Palahniuk.

Chuck wrote the book Fight Club, which I'm sure a lot of people know from the movie. In my opinion that is one of the best book to movie adaptations I've ever seen. When I read Fight Club it became my favorite book. I have read it more times than I can remember now, and it turned me into a huge Palahniuk fan.


His others books are rather insane like Fight Club, but in different ways. I couldn't even begin to describe what some of them are about. Chuck write stories that feel completely real, while at the same time, there is always some kind of element that movies the story into uber fantasy.

The other day I was looking through his website http://chuckpalahniuk.net/ because I wanted to get a new book from him for my Christmas break. I had decided to get his book "Haunted" - a collection of short stories, and kind of a book within a book. While searching through his site I came across one of the short stories called "Guts". I absolutely loved this story, it was hilarious, gross, and so good - pure Palahniuk. As I reached the end of the story I almost passed out. It was so intense and I was so into what was going on that I had forgotten to keep breathing, which is rather interesting considering how the story ends. After I read the last few words I realized I was about to black out and started taking in some deep breaths. It took me about an hour till I felt totally normal, both physically and emotionally, but I'm not the only one who seemed to have this effect when experiencing this short story.

Later I attempted to explain the story to a friend, but had to stop before the climax because I could never do it justice, you just have to read it for yourself. Don't blame me if you get sick or pass out or anything...

1 comments:

LinzeeKaye said...

I can't even explain how that story made me feel. But as you said, it took a while before I felt normal again. It was absolutely disturbing, characteristic of Chuck, but I loved it in a very inexplicable way. Is that wrong? I feel like it's wrong.